Title: If We Were a Movie
Author: Kelly Oram
Release Date: March 2016
Length: 269 pages
Series?: Power of the Matchmaker #3
Genre: Contemporary, New Adult, Romance
Find the book: Goodreads | Amazon
Music meets Movies in this sweet college romance from the bestselling author of Cinder & Ella.
NYU freshman Nate Anderson is a triplet who is desperate to escape his wild and crazy brothers. After they screw things up for him one too many times, Nate flees his housing situation and takes the first available room for rent as far from his brothers as he can get.
Enter his new roommate Jordan–a quirky LA girl who believes that everything in life has already been done in the movies. In this heartfelt tale of love, friendship and family, Nate learns how to deal with his new adult life using Hollywood films as a guide.
***** Review *****
Nate is the middle triplet in the Anderson family, and his brothers have teased, tortured, and tormented him his entire life. Now they have invaded his college plans and intruded into his passion. Sure, they have the band Triple Threat together, but his brothers only want to party and hook up with girls. Nate has a girlfriend – even if his brothers refer to her as Psycho Sophie – and it’s hard when he is stuck between a rock and a hard place with his brothers about Sophie and with Sophie about his brothers.
One disastrous moment leads Nate to find other living arrangements, landing him rooming with Jordan. Although she comes in a package deal with humorous Colin, Nate takes it on and starts enjoying a bit of freedom and breathing room. But it doesn’t last long.
Nate – the middle Anderson triplet who has strong musical talent
Chris and Tyler – the other Anderson triplets who are interested in earning a degree in party-ology
Sophie – Nate’s high school girlfriend on the straight and narrow
Jordan – Nate’s new movie buff roommate
Colin – Jordan’s barista friend
My song had come together even better than I’d imagined, and I was confident that I was going to shock the life out of the judges I’d failed to truly impress back at the beginning of the semester.
The Highs and Lows
- Plot. For the longest I wasn’t sure where things were going as it was not following Pearl’s interference. She came and went, and things were slow to follow. The ending also really threw me. It is not a traditional storyline that is characteristic of the first two books in the Power of the Matchmaker series. There is so much at the ending I want to talk about but I can’t because it’s major spoilers.
- Nate. He is literally stuck in the middle. He’s the middle triplet and the odd man out. He wants to start his adult life and break free from his brothers, who are always ruining things for him. He wants to do the right thing and pursue his passion, but he can’t with his brothers holding him back. He’s a really good friend, and I loved that aspect of him – seeing his friendship with his brothers, with Jordan, and with Colin.
- + Jordan. She is awesome! She also has the worst selection of boyfriends and dates, and her hurt is what drives her the way she acts. She is somewhat insecure and hides it, but she knows who she is as a person.
- + Colin. He is in love with Nate. He even kisses him on the cheek when he sees him! Colin is lighthearted and good for those fun moments. Jordan and Nate definitely need him in their lives.
- – Sophie. She is a primo bitch hardcore. Those clingy, jerk girlfriends? Yeah, that’s her. Girl is off her rocker crazy. UGH. I just wanted to smack her out of the story.
The snowball scene was pretty great. I think the scene I liked the best was when Sophie showed up shortly after the snowball scene, and Chris and Tyler actually took the bull by the horns and stood up for Nate, who they have spent their entire lives teasing and torturing.
Recommendation – Buy, Borrow or Skip?
BUY. The ending! Oh, the ending. Things get so convoluted I didn’t see anything working out and didn’t think Pearl’s matchmaking would work out.
***** About the Author *****
Kelly Oram wrote her first novel at age fifteen–a fan fiction about her favorite music group, The Backstreet Boys, for which her family and friends still tease her. She’s obsessed with reading, talks way too much, and likes to eat frosting by the spoonful. She lives outside of Phoenix, Arizona with her husband, four children, and her cat, Mr. Darcy.
Find the author: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads
4 thoughts on “Review + Giveaway: If We Were a Movie”
[…] 9th A Tattered Copy – Review Girl of 1000 Wonders – Review Tifferz and Her Sisterz Book Reviewz – Review BookHounds – Spotlight Cassandra […]
[…] Review + Giveaway ~ If We Were a Movie […]
This author’s bio cracks me up! The Backstreet Boys??? 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week!
[…] If We Were a Movie (Power of the Matchmaker #3) […]