This is one post in a series of posts about My Bullet Journal Journey. I’ve sequenced the posts so that they chronicle my journey and are step-by-step guides for those of you considering starting your own.
- #1 – My Bullet Journal: Taking the Plunge (materials)
- #2 – How to Get Started (terms and basic set up)
- #3 – My Collections
- #4 – Oopsies & Reinvented Pages
- #5 – Tools in the Toolbox
- #6 – Favorite Spreads
- #7 – Things That Didn’t Work
- #8 – My Worst Ideas
I have about five-ish solid months of bullet journaling under my belt now. I took a month-long hiatus from mid-April to mid-May. While this is my first year of the journal, I’m learning. A lot. Learning how to do things better and things maybe not to do again…like these spreads. I’ll be sharing my worst ideas and designs to date.
My Worst Ideas
After getting cracking on my bullet journal and working through more than 100 pages by mid-March, I realized I was out of room to finish my index for the rest of my bujo.
I logged EVERYTHING when I started setting it up. Even my weeklies. There aren’t enough spaces for the number of pages…so Leuchtturm needs to add a fourth page for the index.
Or just don’t do what I did. In my bujo research, I discovered you shouldn’t index your weeklies.
Because you will run out of space. And you know they follow your monthly calendar anyway, so it’s not necessary to log the weeklies.
Bland and Inconsistent
This was one of my first few pages. I didn’t know what I was doing, so I just made a list. I used this photo in an earlier post as an Oopsie! And then I reinvented the page.
Here’s where things went wrong from the get-go: Instead of cleaning up the M and O, I just kept laying it on. Why? Why do I do that? Sheesh. Don’t let me around the eyeliner. Nobody will need eyeshadow.
I wanted to reinvent this page because I hated it. That M and O so thick and inconsistent in size drove me crazy. And I didn’t really like my list version, either. I wanted something more than this provincial life.
I never thought I was an impatient person, but lately I’m rethinking my own self-assessment. If my bullet journal is anything to go by, I’d say it’s probably right.
One of my worst qualities when it comes to working in my bujo is rushing myself. This page is very evident of that. I tried freehand lettering. It is all uneven and inconsistent in size. Then those horrible pink stripes around that grow and shrink in size. Not to mention uneven.
Here’s what I learned from this spread: I didn’t plan for it. I didn’t know what I wanted to do, and it looks it. This might be a page I go back and reinvent.
Choosing a font is just as important as the size. Neither of which I paid attention to when I tried out my new stencil on my Shows page.
I didn’t choose color wisely. Everything just blends all together. I think I should have selected two colors to alternate.
But the big thing about this font is the decent and the size. With any font, where all the letters come to rest is the baseline. You could draw a line across the page under the words. The letters that dip below that, typically g, j, and y, drop down to the decent line.
The S and the R are horrendous to try to use because they also drop down to the decent line with this particular font. How high do you place the stencil so that the bottom swoops aren’t ridiculously lower than the baseline? If you look at the lowercase S in “Fosters” and the uppercase S in “Switched” – or better yet the two in the title word “Shows” – you’ll see they are almost the same size. This is madness! I am sad to say I probably won’t use this stencil much…so it was basically a waste of money. 😦
I took a hiatus from blogging and my bullet journal for a month. I had already set up the washi tape before my hiatus for my May weeklies. Then I put my book away and didn’t even look at it for a month. When I came back, I was behind. I tried quickly to get my weeklies set up and move on to catch up. In doing so, I got really lazy while trying out my new brush markers. This is the worst of the damage. I couldn’t be bothered, and now I wish I hadn’t been so lazy.
This is one of my March weeklies, before the hiatus. I was trying out different ways to lay out my weeklies, and suddenly became obsessed with washi tape. I saw so many people on Instagram using washi tape in their weeklies…and I obviously failed at that. I think it depends on the color and the pattern, as well as the width of the tape. I should have used a thinner tape for what I was trying to do here. The other thing that was not the brightest idea was my marker color choice…and the stencil font I chose. There are too many things in opposition on this spread that it detracts from a clean set-up.