Title: Wish Upon A Bear
Author: Harmony Raines
Release Date: December 2016
Length: 102 pages
Series?: Return to Bear Bluff #6
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance
Curvy girl Zara is used to working over the Holidays. The pay is good, and it fills the lonely hours, when everyone else is celebrating with their family. This year is different. As a newly qualified teacher, she’s given herself a Christmas vacation.
So, when she is invited by her old friend Dylan and his family, to spend the holidays in Bear Bluff, she agrees. There she finds something much better than a gift under the Christmas tree!
Theo can’t believe his luck. He arrives to help Dylan mend his grandpa’s roof, and instead meets his mate! All his Christmases have come at once. There is only one thing that is stopping him having his best Christmas ever—Dominic.
Dominic is a young offender who is shadowing Theo as part of the project Dylan has set up to help young people who need a fresh start. The problem is, Theo has a feeling Dominic is about to skip town, and break his probation. Can he and Zara work together, to make sure everyone in Bear Bluff has the best Christmas ever?
And will Zara’s dreams all come true, when she makes a wish upon a bear?
Zara – a curvy girl with a bad past; she has no family and is eager to start her first job
Theo – employee in Dylan’s business
Dylan – the boss man and Zara’s friend from her young juvie days
Dominic – a young man separated from his brother after their parents’ deaths
“I can guarantee that some time alone with him, a little Christmas magic, and a lot of sex, and you will see he’s the man for you.”
The Highs and Lows
- Zara. She is a sweet young lady who is haunted by the bad rap of her past – a past that includes abandonment by her only living parent. She is on her own and struggling with the personal aspect of being alone.
- Theo. A roofer who works for Dylan in Bear Bluffs. He grew up in the area and moved away, and came back to make his home here. Now he just needs the family he dreams about.
- Dylan. Zara’s friend from her teenage and juvie days. They have stayed friends over the years, and Zara is back for the first time to meet his family and stay for the holidays. Dylan seems to have his own motivations for invinting Zara to stay through the holidays, including hiring her to work in conjunction with his company and the local high school to help struggling students like they once were.
- Dominic. A young man working for Dylan and under Theo’s direction. It was unclear if this was a legal relationship or if Theo just took Dominic under his wing out of kindness, but regardless, Theo is adamant about trying to help Dominic and keep him on the straight and narrow. Dominic is evasive and vague about his past and circumstances, and they are heartbreaking at that.
- Kindness. I loved that even those this was a fast-paced, linear plot, all of the characters – the major and the minor – show kindness. Bear Bluffs is a town that you would want to live with a supportive, kind community.
- Shapeshifting. What is going on with this? There’s not backstory, no explanation, and it makes the plot seem a little absurd.
While the full synopsis on Goodreads states this can be read as a standalone, but I don’t think that is the case. There wasn’t enough backstory about the shape shifting into bears. From my accounting, Dylan, his son, Theo, Dominic and perhaps a few other individuals who work for Dylan are shape shifters.
Recommendation – Buy, Borrow or Skip?
I enjoyed the story, but I think readers need to start at the beginning of the series to get the full picture of these novels.