Short Story Series Companions
What do you love and hate about them?
I hate that they are written after-the-fact, for several reasons.
- This makes me think the author is greedy and trying to cash in even more.
- This makes me think the author has no other ideas or places to take their writing to.
- Usually their is a change in voice and style from the series.
- The short stories are not really furthering or connecting any bridges in the series plot. They serve no purpose (except again money).
I hate that sometimes the short stories don’t even have the series main characters in them!
- This is not supposed to be a spin-off. If you want to write a spin-off series, write it!
- If it’s part of XYZ series, shouldn’t it have the main XYZ characters in it?
I hate that sometimes short stories seem like a waste.
- I’ve found shorts that aren’t developed fully.
- I’ve found shorts that don’t even really connect back to the series. WTF? (Again, money. Slap a successful brand on it and people will eat it up.)
I love that some authors do shorts the right way. I get a little more of the good stuff.
Let’s just face it. I hate short story series companions. Don’t mess up a good thing!