Welcome to the my tour stop for Sock Monster by Stacey E. Campbell! This is a children’s picture book and the tour runs December 14-18 with reviews. To check out all of them, visit the tour schedule.
Title: Sock Monster
Author: Stacey R. Campbell
Publisher: Green Darner Press
Release Date: October 2015
Length: 32 pages
When Billy refuses to pick up his clothes the sock monster comes to teach him a lesson.
***** Review *****
Billy refuses to pick up after himself. His mother tells him a bedtime story about the Sock Monster, who comes to teach him a lesson.
Billy – he is a typical boy and his character illustration is adorable
Mommy – a very intuitive mom
The Highs and Lows
- The Bedtime Story. How genius is this? Billy’s mom knows how to get to him in just the right way.
- Billy. He is so stinking cute. I just want to scoop him up and keep him.
- The Sock Monster. He is illustrated so comically and yet at the same time a little manically.
- The End. The final page was hilarious. The look on the Sock Monster’s face said it all. It reminded me a little of Ally Brosh’s artwork from Hyperbole and a Half.
- The Length. The story is told in a series of events that is short and clear for young readers. It is something they can read on their own.
The illustrator did a beautiful job of matching the her artwork to Campbell’s story well. It is a perfect fit that tells the story both through the words and through the pictures. Billy and the Sock Monster’s expressions are priceless.
Recommendation – Buy, Borrow or Skip?
This is definitely a children’s book that should be bought. It would make an excellent stocking stuffer at this time of year!
***** About the Author *****
Stacey R. Campbell lives in the Washington state with her husband and three daughters. She is a graduate of the University of Washington and a dyslexic writer that believes there is no such thing as a bad reader. She is the author of the young adult novels Hush,Whisper, Scream & Silence, the highly acclaimed middle grade swashbuckling pirate book ARRGH! and the newly released picture book Sock Monster.
When not at her desk writing she can be found hiking, sailing, or skiing. She enjoys chocolate in any shape or size, too many cups of coffee, and laughing (often too loudly, as her daughters say) with her friends and family.
Stacey is available for classroom visits and loves working with writers and readers of any age; especially those with learning disabilities, like her own.
***** Giveaway *****
$20 Amazon gift card (INT)
2 winners receive signed copies of Sock Monster (US)
Ends December 23